Friday, May 8, 2009

TGIF!!!

I picked up our local organic fruit and veggie basket today and was quite pleased at the haul this week. There are times that I forget that I'm in a country very different from Canada and then I have an experience like this. It's Fall here, and today, in the basket there were kiwis, oranges and corn. In Canada, kiwis, oranges and the word "local" just don't belong in the same sentence. And corn is local for about two minutes in late summer. If you blink hard, corn season is over. So I was thrilled to get this basket. The guy who gave it to me was apologetic that they didn't have any greens this week, and I was all "Dude, there's kiwis in there, it's okay!"


I had the last of the bean salad for lunch, with some soy quinoa bread toasted with butter. OMG - it was like two slices of toasty heaven.


I spent the afternoon reading about qualitative methods theory on our balcony, soaking up some sun (it's getting chillier by the day over here, so the chance to bask in a little bit of sun and warmth feels pretty nice).

I picked up Gus from school, and we had a snack of apples and oranges from this week's basket. For supper, we had a funny combination of salmon patties, gnocchi with steamed broccoli and parmesan, a stir fry of carrots and bok choy with bean sauce and some of that soy quinoa bread turned into garlic toasts. I'm not sure what I was thinking with the whole bean sauce thing, but at least it was the end of the carrots from last week's basket.


Now, I'm off for a little slice of chocolate cake with a small scoop of ice cream that I'm going to eat while watching Journey to the Centre of the Earth with Vic and Gus. TGIF!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good looking veggies! I'm envious. (Can anyone explain to me why 'veggies' is spelled with 2 'g's? And why it doesn't rhyme with egg-ie since it has 2 'g's? I'd like to start a movement to change the spelling to 'vegies' (which, incidentally my spell-check takes umbrage with).

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say, I love your blog!!

And the veggies look so good!!

Miss you,
Farrah

Dana said...

That's it, you've convinced me: i'm going to spell it vegies fron now on.

Hi Farah!! I miss you too! Thanks for the nice comment. Write me when you get a chance and tell me what's new with you.