Saturday, August 21, 2010

Where's the naked people?

Last night, Gus had a sleepover at his bff's. With our free night, Vic and I decided that we needed to go see Bellini's La Somnambula at the Opera House, our first opera at the Opera House.

This poor opera had a lot to live up to. The last time Vic was at the Opera House, he was naked with 5,000 other naked people, posing for Spencer Tunick. And the last time time I saw an opera was in Berlin where I saw a modern interpretation of The Magic Flute, in which the flute was actually a penis and a large dildo was used as a prop (this is a true story! I swear I didn't include those words just to get more hits on this blog). It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen, and I laughed and applauded my way through all 3 hrs of it.

Needless to say, La Somnambula didn't quite live up to our previous opera-related experiences. Not only were there no naked people or sex toys, but the plot was bit puzzling to both of us. Why did Elvino prefer Amina, when Lisa was clearly the hottie of the two? And, why was Amina so stuck on Elvino, when he was so jealous and insecure? Ah well, the orchestra and the singing were fantastic and the experience did make for some great people-watching...let's just say I would have felt more at home if I had brought a fur stole and was 20-30 years older.

No comments: