Sunday, February 1, 2009

Back to School

Cries of joy were heard across Sydney when kids returned to school after a five-week Christmas/Summer holiday this past Wednesday. Well....cries of joy were definitely heard from our apartment. Back to school means back to a predictable routine, which makes everyone in our little family happy. Although I'd love to think of myself as a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kinda girl, I'm really more of a verging-on-obsessive-compulsive-routine-loving kinda person. And, I think Gus might have inherited a bit of that. Gus was very happy to see his old friends, and the relaxed schedule of the first week helped ease him into school life. No dramas there.

Our other big news is that we finally bought a washing machine. Yay! No more dragging our laundry down to the laundromat on Saturday mornings. When I first started thinking about going back to school after working for 10+ years, I romanticized it, thinking about how simple life was when I was in school long, long time ago. Well, the reality is not quite as romantic as I had imagined. And, doing my laundry at a laundromat is a part of student life that I didn't much enjoy 15-20 years ago, and certainly don't enjoy at this point in my life. I did my first load of laundry using our new washing machine today, and sadly it made me really, really happy.

Here's some pics of Gus wearing his school uniform on his first day of school. In retaliation for all my picture taking, he'll no longer smile happily for the camera, hence the goofy faces.

4 comments:

Neil said...

It's not sad that you enjoy doing laundry in your own washer...at least I hope it's not!
Oh, and I still like that hat.

Dana said...

Hey Neil, all the public school kids have a choice of that hat or a baseball-type hat to keep them protected in the sun at recesses. When Gus saw that wide-brimmed hat - he immediately picked that one. There was no question...he's a kid with a sense of style!

Laura said...

Hi, Just found your blog through the Smiths-- I am also an American in Sydney with 2 little boys (4 & 5 years old). I think (from the hat) that you live near us-- you can email me at flgirlinsydney@gmail.com if you are ever interested in meeting up!
Cheers!

Laura said...

Oh and regarding the hat-- you had a choice??? He chose the right one-- to protect the back of the neck, etc!